Romeo & Juliet | Adapted Novel
Adapted novels are an excellent tool to bring the general education curriculum and content to students with disabilities across settings. For students who are in life skills, self-contained, inclusion, and autism classrooms.
Our goal is to ensure that ALL students have access to texts, especially literary classics!
Useful for all students in your classroom:
Whether you have students who are non-reading to students starting to access the general education curriculum, this adapted novel will be incredibly useful to you!
Easy to embed in a lesson or start with for reading:
Students can follow along and stay engaged with this adapted novel. The text is interactive and easy to embed into reading lessons. My students always love reading what the other students are reading. And this grade-level text is brought to life by my students when they are reading it. They get so engaged with the stories and bring it up during other subjects throughout the day.
Ideas across subjects:
It also lends itself well to talking about life skills, social emotional and coping skills, independent living, social skills, social studies, career exploration, self-advocacy, transition planning/transition programming, and more.
This adapted novel is a complete unit with everything you need... you can download and start teaching this novel today with your class!
1. Adapted Novel
- The adapted novel is 5 chapters long
- Includes vocabulary for each chapter at the start
- Vocab is also bolded throughout the text
- If needed, can be printed in black and white and look great!
2. Reading Comprehension Questions
- 5 sets of questions (1 for each chapter/act)
- 1 set = 10 questions
- 3 differentiated versions: 1) Multiple choice – written 2) Multiple choice – with images, 3) Cut out image answers
- With answer keys!
3. Character task cards
- For all of the major characters within the play
- Color-coded to match the houses of Montague vs. Capulet or neutral
- Descriptions about each character
4. Teacher Prep Instructions
- Suggestions for classroom use
- Prep instructions for all materials (adapted novel booklets, reading comprehension worksheets, and character task cards)