Martin Luther King Jr. Day Adapted Book | Printable + Digital
This MLK Day adapted book resource is an informational text that you can use for any literacy, reading, social studies, history, and/or current events lesson. It gives students an opportunity to learn more about a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, a leader they may have not had the chance to learn about in the past and/or a more interactive way to read and learn.
My students also enjoyed having their own books, real photos to explore (no clip art here!), and the opportunity to add this and build onto their own classroom library.
Reading about history made accessible: Most of our students have a complicated relationship with reading, which can feel ingrained as they get older. Plus, a lot of texts can feel out of reach as our students reach older grades.
This resource gives our students more opportunities to read about history, events, and famous leaders they may have or may not have heard of as well as an interactive component for students as they read.
Differentiation options: this resource includes multiple versions for your students to engage in the lesson: 2 leveled readers that are printable and digital, 3 differentiated worksheets (written multiple choice, picture multiple choice, cut out pictures)
Ideas for use: warm-up, morning meeting, academic lesson, centers, choice time, reading circle, small group, 1:1, whole class
- Teacher Manual
- Resource Walkthrough
- Printing Guidelines
- Suggestions for Use and Differentiation
- Printable Adapted Books
- Level 1 – with smaller groups of text & interactive pieces that match & pull from the text
- Level 2
- Digital Adapted Books
- Level 1 – with smaller groups of text & interactive pieces to click that match & pull from the text
- Level 2
- Classroom Slides Version – Digital
- Reading Comprehension Questions – 3 types
- Digital – included at the end of both digital adapted books and the classroom slides