Starting a Group in the Community Toolkit
This is a digital download, no physical items will be sent to you. You will see the download as either a PDF or zip file.
We often hear from autistic adults and their families about the need for more resources in their community, in the form of groups and connections to others. And oftentimes, we can take this into our own hands and create just the group you need.
The purpose of this toolkit is to offer some helpful information on starting a group in your community (locally and online). Whether you want to start a support group, peer group, or a group to hang out, talk about a topic, hobby, or interest, this toolkit will walk you through the steps.In this toolkit, we cover/include:
- Types of groups
- Establishing your personal and group goals
- Starting a Group Self-Assessment
- Meeting Online?
- Meeting In Person?
- Group Membership
- Getting the Word Out
- Group Structure
- Starting the Group
- Promoting a Safe Space
- Keeping the Momentum Going
This toolkit is for all members of the autism community to get on the same page around a specific topic.
In whatever role(s) you occupy, you can use this guide to support your knowledge on the topic, share information with others in your support networks, and use this guide in discussions about locating appropriate resources.
Each individual is in a different place and can benefit from learning about ideas and ways to support or seek support.
About the Lifespan Toolbox
The Lifespan Toolbox is a collection of toolkits for everyone in the autism community from self-advocates, family members, professionals, and other members of the community to get on the same page about autism and lifespan.
We span topics all over the lifespan, specifically thinking about the adulthood years (the longest span of our lives!) and how we can all work together to support the autistic person/people in our lives and community.
Research and reported experiences from autistic individuals show a need to receive individualized support regarding life skills and to be connected with others. That’s where the Lifespan Toolbox comes in!
- We have a growing library of toolkits and are adding to it on a biweekly basis. There are numerous topics to cover here!
Up to Date Resources
- Isn’t it frustrating to finally find a resource and discover that it’s from 2011? We keep ours updated with news, research, and feedback from the ASD community.
- Each toolkit page has an interactive webpage with active links and videos. You can also download the PDF which has ample space for taking notes.