Finding the Right Housing Toolkit
Housing in general is an increasingly expensive and complicated process. And any additional support needs can further exacerbate the difficulty of finding a suitable space.
Many housing options have very real barriers and obstacles to access, whereas it can feel like the path of least resistance for autistic adults to stay with a caregiver. In some cases that may be the best option, but every autistic adult can benefit from a plan to attain housing that meets their needs.
Whether the goal is to seek out the option that leads to the richest, most fulfilling life or to have a contingency plan in the event that a current living arrangement stops being tenable for some reason, it never hurts to make sure you know what is out there when it comes to your or your family member’s housing needs and options!
The aim of this toolkit is to share some of the most common housing options available to autistic adults and some systems for weighing your own needs against the options that seem most attainable in your personal context.
In this toolkit we will be covering some common needs for autistic adults and their families, a self-assessment for laying out what you think is important among different housing options, an overview of different housing models, and some advice on getting started searching for options in your area.
- Common Needs for Autistic Adults and Families
- Housing Self-Assessment of your goals
- Overview of Housing Options (across support needs)
- Deep Dive of Pros and Cons of Housing Options
- Housing Unit Types (small to large to communal)
- Guidance on Searching for Housing Options
- Finding Funding for Housing Options
This toolkit is for all members of the autism community to get on the same page around a specific topic.
In whatever role(s) you occupy, you can use this guide to support your knowledge on the topic, share information with others in your support networks, and use this guide in discussions about locating appropriate resources.
Each individual is in a different place and can benefit from learning about ideas and ways to support or seek support.
About the Lifespan Toolbox
The Lifespan Toolbox is a collection of toolkits for everyone in the autism community from self-advocates, family members, professionals, and other members of the community to get on the same page about autism and lifespan.
We span topics all over the lifespan, specifically thinking about the adulthood years (the longest span of our lives!) and how we can all work together to support the autistic person/people in our lives and community.
Research and reported experiences from autistic individuals show a need to receive individualized support regarding life skills and to be connected with others. That’s where the Lifespan Toolbox comes in!
- We have a growing library of toolkits and are adding to it on a biweekly basis. There are numerous topics to cover here!
Up to Date Resources
- Isn’t it frustrating to finally find a resource and discover that it’s from 2011? We keep ours updated with news, research, and feedback from the ASD community.
- Each toolkit page has an interactive webpage with active links and videos. You can also download the PDF which has ample space for taking notes.