Social Media for Self-Advocates Toolkit
Over the last 20 years, social media has evolved from a novelty into one of the most prolific components of modern discourse. For all the pros and cons of the weight it can hold in our lives, one thing is clear: social media is an incredibly powerful tool for helping individuals accomplish their goals.
Learning to navigate social media to maximize your personal benefit can lead to new connections, getting involved in new causes, and even growing your career! Yet at the same time we all need to be careful not to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of social media or the potential for negativity that can crop up from time to time.
With the right personalized approach, we can disengage from the parts of social media we find most harmful and use the rest to achieve our goals!
In this toolkit we will cover many of the most common uses of social media, with a special focus on those interested in engaging in self advocacy or action. We will also dig into some of the most common pitfalls that come with social media. Depending on the platform, social media can be a mix of local community, niche interests, and national or even international audience.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
This toolkit is meant for self-advocates, but parents, caregivers, and professionals can certainly make a note of what it has to offer and pass it along to the autistic individuals in their lives.
In whatever role(s) you occupy, you can use this guide to support your knowledge on the topic, share information with others in your support networks, and use this guide in discussions about locating appropriate resources.
Each individual is in a different place and can benefit from learning about ideas and ways to support or seek support.
ABOUT THE LIFESPAN TOOLBOX
The Lifespan Toolbox is a collection of toolkits for everyone in the autism community from self-advocates, family members, professionals, and other members of the community to get on the same page about autism and lifespan.
We span topics all over the lifespan, specifically thinking about the adulthood years (the longest span of our lives!) and how we can all work together to support the autistic person/people in our lives and community.
Research and reported experiences from autistic individuals show a need to receive individualized support regarding life skills and to be connected with others. That’s where the Lifespan Toolbox comes in!
- We have a growing library of toolkits and are adding to it on a biweekly basis. There are numerous topics to cover here!
Up to Date Resources
- Isn’t it frustrating to finally find a resource and discover that it’s from 2011? We keep ours updated with news, research, and feedback from the ASD community.
- Each toolkit page has an interactive webpage with active links and videos. You can also download the PDF which has ample space for taking notes.
HOW DO I DOWNLOAD?
This product is an instant digital download. It is available to download in multiple locations:
- After you purchase, you can download directly from the checkout page.
- You will also receive an email with the download link.
- You now have an account with AGU - on all pages of our website (shop.autismgrownup.com) - you will see a tab on the top called Downloads. All of your downloads are housed there.